International Campus Students

  • The information below only applies to International Students with F-1 visa status. For J-1 status students, please contact International Services at (208) 496-1320 or email 
  • Though the information we share here is the most current, please keep in mind that these requirements can change at any time based on U.S. mandate. 
  • For information specific to Prospective Students, see New/Prospective Students

International Student I-20 Deadlines

If you are planning to come to campus on a F-1 status, you are required to apply for an I-20 through International Services. All sections and requirements of the "Application for Form I-20" must be submitted by the deadline provided below:

  • November 5 (Winter)
  • February 15 (Spring)
  • July 15 (Fall)

All deadlines are final and there are no exceptions. Students will not receive any additional time to submit their I-20 applications after the deadline has passed. However, students can apply for a future on-track semester if they miss a deadline.

Requirements for Enrollment

New Students:

  • You are required to register for at least 12 credits for each of the first two semesters upon arriving at BYU-Idaho and subsequent on-track semesters. Only 3 credits or 1 online class counts toward the minimum of 12 credits, with the remainder being on-campus courses. Please be aware that you cannot register for online classes until you check-in with our office upon arriving in the U.S.

Continuing Students:

  • Continuing students that are in the United States are required to be enrolled in at least 12 credits. Only 3 credits or 1 online class counts toward the minimum of 12 credits, with the remainder being on-campus courses.


Please review the CDC travel guidelines. Travel restrictions may impact your ability to leave or re-enter the United States.

New Students 

  • You cannot enter the country until 30 days before the semester begins. Please be cautious of this while arranging your travel plans.
  • When you enter the U.S., please be sure that you receive a visa stamp in your passport that says F-1.
  • Once you are inside of the U.S., you must check in with International Services by the first day of classes so you can be registered with the government system. 
    • In Person: Manwaring Center 276 A 
    • Online: New Student Cheeck-In 
      • DO NOT use these forms if you are not in the U.S. yet
      • Complete both forms: Legal Documents and U.S. Addresses

Continuing Students

  • Before traveling make sure to obtain a travel signature, which is a signature from International Services.
    • If you have left the country without receiving the signature, please contact International Services for assistance.

On-Campus Employment

  • Students who are enrolled in 12 credits, regardless of the type of class, cannot exceed 20 hours a week on campus.
  • Students in less than 12 credits who are actively maintaining their status can work more than 20 hours a week on campus.

International Services 

  • For any other questions, contact International Services they are open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday, but is closed Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm for devotional and forum.


For recent questions in regards to registration, see Registration Questions

Was this helpful?
0 reviews


Article ID: 7755
Tue 11/10/20 1:28 PM
Tue 8/2/22 1:23 PM